Wednesday, June 11, 2014

To all my teachers



Respected Teachers,
I know that I cannot give you wealth, nor do I have any powers to give you Happiness, but I hope that my words would be enough for you to feel that you are special. Firstly, I would like to wish you all “HAPPY TEACHERS DAY”.
I know that I have a reason to be here on earth and have responsibilities, but when I look back on my life, I see you as the most important person who has made me what I am today. Yes, a house will never stand if there are no bricks, and a bridge if there is no woods or metals. Similarly I would not have been what I am if you had not been my guiding force.
When I was young, I wondered how so many small men and women lived inside a small television sets, I wondered how cockroaches spoke and delivered news and songs so well. I wondered why the bulbs glowed in a room. I wondered how could a bird fly whereas I could not. I wondered why cows didn’t talk like me. Everything was so confusing yet I was not bored listening to your answers as you taught and guided me.
I remember my mother crying when I first left for school and I was so scared when I saw my teachers for the first time. Yet you proved to be so wise, gentle and friendly. You taught me A B C D… that I will never forget in life because I learned it perfectly. But as I grew up you taught me more important things.  You taught me formulas, science, math, English, which confused me at first and I even cursed you at times.  I didn’t know why I was learning all this nonsense and I didn’t see any meaning in it. I blamed you when I could not succeed, for your qualities, your actions and your physique, the homework, the warnings, the beatings, indeed everything difficult that came my way I blamed on you.  I looked for shortcuts and easy ways, but now realize that those do not work. I look back with shame that I used to backbite and be a spy among my naughty friends as we enjoyed criticizing my teachers.  I thank you now for being tough.  It has helped me succeed.
Today I am a different person. I can say that I have become so visionary that I see the world from different angle. I understand why the birds fly, I know why so many people can fit inside a screen of television and I understand how a cockroach speaks and sings on the radio and I have learned why animals can’t speak. 
But more important than all of those, I have learned the values of life. I have learned to hear all people and judge and filter what they say.  I am able to conduct, organize, cooperate, collaborate, concentrate and participate in every responsibility I take. I have learned to tackle situations, celebrate victories and accept defeats. I have learned that problems are part of our life and I know that a difference is made when we face problems, not when we fear them.  I have learned that happiness and sorrow are choices and a state of mind.  Most importantly I can say I have developed as a complete person.
You made me who I am by opening my eyes to the world and to possibilities.   Through you, I also learned that a Ngultrum earned is far more valuable than a hundred found and it was you who explained to me “Lincoln’s” letter, which I found was true.   Finally, you taught me more than facts, science, math, and English; you taught me the meaning of love by loving me and caring for me.  I didn’t understand that then.  Now I do.
Today as a young energetic man, all I can say is it’s you who made me. Thank you for everything. You are no less important than my parents. I am your greatest admirer and you are my greatest hero. My love, respect and care for you are immortal.
AND,
 Most importantly today I have become a Teacher myself and I hope someday my students will feel the same way about me that I feel about you.   And if I am able to teach them any wisdom along the way, I will accept their gratitude.  But I will silently know that it was through your efforts that I was able to but one thing is mine, the mistakes that I never inherited form you and I accept them.
Thank you
Ram

No comments:

Post a Comment